Saturday, January 15, 2011

2011 Goals

I've always had goals for my painting, I've just never put them down on paper. In order to hold myself more accountable for my goals, I have decided not only to write them down (which I did a couple of weeks ago very early in 2011) but to post them publicly. I intend on reviewing them at least quarterly to keep myself on track.

Another artist friend of mine has inspired me and encouraged me to complete this task.  We have similar goals, as one might expect from like-minded people.

In the last few years, I have focused on expanding my teaching with the City of St. John's, which has worked quite well. I have also embarked upon setting up my own studio space which is a major project to say the least. The "shed" as it is affectionately known, is still a work in progress but is functional for classes with heat and light. Grand opening will be scheduled for the Fall 2011....one of my goals listed below. My focus will now get back to what it originally was...the production, marketing and sale of my own artwork.

Most of my goals for 2011 can be subdivided into three main categories - learning activities, productivity, and visibility:

Learning Activities:
  • Increase my knowledge of various painting techniques and styles through courses online and/or participate in local workshops or classes.

  • Work on further expanding my existing classes and workshops offered to students.

  • Research local art groups/organizations to determine benefits of memberships and learning opportunities.

  • Complete the studio and hold grand opening in the Fall.


  • Productivity:
  • Create a defined body of work using a theme of my choice for the purpose of an art show. At least 8 major paintings should be produced for this endeavour.

  • Create at least one painting a month that is not part of the defined body of work or commissions.

  • Create more artwork that is focused on the market demands.


  • Visibility:
  • Increase my online presence through use of my website, facebook, blog, and venturing into sales online.

  • Increase my advertising for commissions using online advertising methods.

  • Creation of an artist's group who will be focused on increasing our visibility and also in sharing meaningful critiques and knowledge.

  • Participate in more public showcases.

  • Submit artwork to juried and non-juried art competitions in the Province and globally.


  • One goal doesn't fit exactly into either of the three categories above....create an artist's statement. I have actually already completed this task and is posted on my blog.

    Some of the above goals have already been started. Since this is only the end of the second full week in 2011, I think I have made a great start.

    I encourage my readers to keep me mindful of my goals and on the right track for 2011. If there are any goals you think I have missed, please let me know your thoughts!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment