Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2011 - Second Quarter Update

So the start of the second quarter of the year has come and gone...but July has been quite busy our first show as Arts Northeast. Now that the show is underway (running until August 13) and the in-laws have visited, I can revisit my goals for 2011 to see how I'm progressing.....so from my January & March 2011 posts:

"My focus will now get back to what it originally was...the production, marketing and sale of my own artwork. Most of my goals for 2011 can be subdivided into three main categories - learning activities, productivity, and visibility:"

Learning Activities:
  • Increase my knowledge of various painting techniques and styles through courses online and/or participate in local workshops or classes - I have signed up for a couple of online courses, so some progress here. Ok, so I signed up but haven't had time to work on them. Tomorrow is hopefully a holiday, so I hope to do some painting and tackle one of the courses.

  • Work on further expanding my existing classes and workshops offered to students - Well, slight hiccup in this one....I had intended on continuing my classes with the City of St. John's past my current schedule which finishes in May....short version, the City seems to be changing some of it's rules and I do not agree with how they are handling things...so I have decided to move on in the fall. I will be increasing classes of my Artist's Choice and various Workshops in "the Shed" instead. Not exactly my original plan, but we'll have to go with it. I have scheduled 2 nights for Artist's Choice (which one is full and the other almost full) as well as 4 Workshops for the fall in "the Shed". I have loaded up on Workshops for the Fall as many students do not like to venture out in the Winter.


  • Research local art groups/organizations to determine benefits of memberships and learning opportunities - VANL looks promising, but have decided to hold off on joining until 2012. Status quo.

  • Complete the studio and hold grand opening in the Fall - Now that the warmer weather is here (wishful thinking I suspect), work will continue in "The Shed". Work on the studio is continuing and we now have running water! Progress! Almost ready for more paint and then onto the ceiling.

    Productivity:

  • Create a defined body of work using a theme of my choice for the purpose of an art show. At least 8 major paintings should be produced for this endeavour - Well, no theme unless you count lack of a theme, a theme! I have changed this goal a little which was a result of the formation of our own art group. My loose working terms right now are textures....The art show is booked for late July-early August for 3 weeks, so more painting must be completed. If I get 6 new paintings done for this show, I'll be happy. The show is on now! 8 major paintings were produced and I also decided to put in 2 former paintings that I previously did not wish to sell....time does wonders! The next theme is nature, so I'm well in my comfort zone there.

  • Create at least one painting a month that is not part of the defined body of work or commissions - Month 4 and I'm just finishing off paintings 3 and 4 (There was one commission in there too). So on track. 8 new paintings were completed for the show, which doesn't include 2 others that I had completed early in the year that are going in the next show.

  • Create more artwork that is focused on the market demands - Right now I've been picking subjects I like, so I'm not really focusing on market demands...YET.....seems at least one of my counterparts will be joining me at a Christmas Fair, so I decided today I have to paint some Christmas/Winter subjects....so sort of on track? I have an idea, sort of a theme...maybe I need to revise the goal above....it's a secret right now though..... Ok, so decided against the Christmas fair with so much going on with exhibits/sales and teaching. Apparently need to sleep sometime. Haven't started a winter painting yet...must find one to do soon.

    Visibility:

  • Increase my online presence through use of my website, facebook, blog, and venturing into sales online - Website updated and PayPal added, Blog is going well so far, Facebook has my Blog updates posted, and have secured one local online company, working on another local one that I have a commitment from, and also checking out some global print-on-demand sites....  Hoping to do some work in these areas in the next few weeks....

  • Increase my advertising for commissions using online advertising methods - Did post some online ads...got a few students, but no commissions. Will post ads again online for the fall....

  • Creation of an artist's group who will be focused on increasing our visibility and also in sharing meaningful critiques and knowledge - Well underway, a somewhat slow start, but we have a group of 4 now and have our first show booked (mentioned above) and working on 1-2 more for this year. Have a plan for a proposal for 2012. Very Excited...more details to follow. First show is in progress, second show is booked, third show still possible....will decide that in a few weeks.

  • Participate in more public showcases - I have a few venues secured....looking at a few more..... Truly haven't gotten to this yet.....

  • Submit artwork to juried and non-juried art competitions in the Province and globally - Not yet. Deadline for Arts and Letters is in September...will enter this year.

    Not a bad start for the first half of 2011....I'm enjoying the painting...even if there have been alot of deadlines involved. So that is the main thing! Another update for the third quarter in October. Stay tuned!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment