I've been busy after our May 6th exhibition and sale with some marketing ventures....I'm glad to say that I have original paintings on display in two locations locally and a few more to come soon.
Saturday I dropped off 4 pieces to Five Island Gallery in Tors Cove. They are located on 7 Cove Road in Tors Cove in the old schoohouse with a fabulous view of the bay and islands. I met with Owner/Operator Laura Coultas in the morning and left the following original paintings with her for the Gallery - Afloat, Aristotle's Lantern, Bog Dweller, and Off the Beaten Path. It is a lovely drive to Tors Cove (and beyond)....drop in to visit with Laura or her parents and take a look at some great artwork by many local artists.
The second stop was to The Bird House and Binocular Shop at 124 Duckworth Street in the heart of downtown St. John's. I had contacted the Bird House as I enjoy painting birds (and other wildlife) and thought my paintings would fit well with the store. I met with Babs Taylor and she was very excited by my original artwork and she even decided to take some paintings that didn't feature birds (a butterfly and dragonfly) as well as some prints, photography, and hand-painted glass suncatchers. She was very excited about my artwork and the birds I featured and I have a few more in mind to paint shortly. You can view my original artworks - Blue (blue jay), Keeping Watch (puffin), Wren & Cattails, Out of the Fog (loon), Swallowtail (butterfly), and Ready for Flight (darner dragonfly). She also has my prints of Viking Vinland (crow) and The Window (owl), my original photos of crows (3 different ones), and my hand-painted glass suncatchers (puffin and crow). Drop by to visit with Babs and see her wonderful store full of all things birds (and binoculars). She may even tell you a tale or sing a song for you!
I have a few more galleries and locations that will be updated and carrying my artwork by the end of May....stay tuned for further updates!
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
So, the first quarter of 2012 has come and gone quickly (or so it seems) and with our Arts Northeast Exhibition & Sale in early May, I didn't have time to review the progress during the first quarter....so better late than never! Updates are in Blue Text.
Artist Goals 2012: To continue to find avenues to learn, produce and display artwork.
· Continue to increase my knowledge of various painting techniques and styles through online courses and/or local workshops. I've been participating in some webinar courses by Johannes Vloothuis, and will continue to do so throughout the year, as long as he keeps offering them...
· Start a monthly painting challenge where we will focus on a particular technique or subject to explore. I have posted 2 painting challenges so far this year, not quite monthly...
· Start a “create together” day once a month for the members of Arts Northeast to learn from each other, and perhaps have guest participants to increase our knowledge. Attempted, but have not been able to meet due to changing work schedules, snowbirds, and weather. Should start in June.
· Create a defined body of work (10-20 pieces) using a theme. Have started this...a lot of research completed and 2 pieces painted. Distracted by painting for the Arts Northeast exhibition. I had anticipated if we had 2 shows this year with Arts Northeast, then this goal will span into 2013 as well. One more is sketched out and ready to go up on the easel to paint!
· Create up to 30 pieces of artwork for 2 exhibitions in 2012 with Arts Northeast. Created 14 new pieces for the May show. On target if we have 2 exhibitions....
· Spend more time sketching/drawing by completing one small piece per week. Not quite one a week, but art is moving forward.
· Complete more plein air paintings. It's Newfoundland....way to cold to venture out for this yet. This is strictly a summer/fall activity.
· Complete several winter/Christmas theme artwork. One completed and one sketched in ready to go....
· Increase my online presence through use of facebook, my website, my blog and online art stores, such as Kijiji, Fine Art America, Etsy, and Zazzle. Original artwork and photography online with Fine Art America, Etsy, and ImageKind. Prints listed on Kijiji. Now posting with Twitter. New blog set up for Arts Northeast. Completing free online tutorials on a variety of painting subjects for my website for student use.
· Explore venues for two exhibitions with Arts Northeast. One exhibition complete...decision on second one for this year tomorrow.
· Explore venues for exhibitions outside of the Northeast Avalon. Contacted one gallery and working on a few others.
· Submit artwork to juried and non-juried art competitions/exhibits locally and globally. Have passed on this so far this year...subjects of local exhibits have not struck my fancy at this time.Progress in 2012 seems to be on track...hopefully the momentum will continue.