Thursday, June 27, 2013

Truly Canadian

Today on ArtBomb is my painting "Truly Canadian" for a special starting bid in honour of Canada Day.

Being Canadian means different things to different people. Here are my musings as to why I painted this one....

"Truly Canadian"
Acrylic - 2011
24" x 36"

In celebration of Canada Day, east coast artist, Brenda Rowe thought this work honoured our Canadian heritage best.

"The Maple Leaf has been a symbol of Canada from as early as 1700. In the 1800's organizations, newspapers, military, coat of arms, and currency all contained the maple leaf. "Maple Leaf Forever" was considered the national song for many decades in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The photo I took of maple leaves in fall on the steps near the courthouse here in St. John's Newfoundland, always make me think of Canada. I always knew I would have to paint this photo. Maple leaves are "Truly Canadian"."

Check out my symbol of Canada today on ArtBomb. And don't forget to remember what Canada means to you this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment